Saturday 5 May 2007

Malware

Pwned

Malware is software designed to infiltrate or damage a computer system without the owner's informed consent. It is a portmanteau of the words "malicious" and "software". The expression is a general term used by computer professionals to mean a variety of forms of hostile, intrusive, or annoying software or program code.


Earlier today I got struck by malware. Damn smart malware at that. It passed through my avast! virus scanner without as much as a squeak, then proceeded to attack my registry for a whole 10 minutes - causing Spybot S&D to spout out an error message every time the bug struck. What's more the clever bugger actually deleted itself and left the registry attacker on somewhere in the nether regions of my PC.

That's why people should all get a Mac.

After I just switched the computer off, just to see if the S&D errors stopped somehow, my computer then proceeded to stop working. A whole half hour of watching my faux Apple loading screen being followed by the black screen of death. I just screwed around with the BIOS settings and rebooted it until it could actually reach the login screen. Which it eventually did. But now, to be overly safe, I've abandoned that account. Luckily I had already set up another account for just such an occasion. So I can quite happily access all my files and programs from my malware-d username, without ever having to use it.

Oh happy days.

But seriously. What exactly is the point in malware? The people who make it don't exactly earn anything off it (apart from adware and keyloggers, etc) but viruses and programs that are just made to stop your computer working - What are they for? All they ever do is inconvenience people. It's just stupidly non-sensical.

*gets his gun*

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home